At Premier Health and Wellness, our goal is to help you reach your optimal health, to look and feel younger than ever before. In this office, we use hormone replacement therapy, specialized testing, and weight management strategies to make remarkable improvements in your well-being. The truth is, what we do here in the office is not enough—some of the responsibility falls on you. Because of this, we often ask our patients to make lifestyle changes which will aid the effectiveness of their treatment. When we ask our patients to cut sugar out their diet, they don’t always understand how one simple ingredient could have such a drastic impact on their health. Here is the cold, hard truth: sugar is not your friend. In fact, around here, we believe sugar is the enemy and here’s why:
- Sugar is Empty Calories: There is absolutely nothing about sugar which is beneficial to your health. There are no important nutrients in sugar. If you are an average American, 10 to 20 percent of the calories you consume each day are worthless, empty sugar calories. This could lead to nutritional deficiencies, weight gain, or chronic conditions.
- Sugar Causes Tooth Decay: The bacteria in your mouth loves sugar. When there is excess sugar in your diet, this bacteria feeds off of this sugar and puts you at risk for tooth decay.
- Too Much Sugar Can Turn to Fat in Your Liver: If you are already not in the best of health, the fructose in sugar can overload your liver. When your liver is overloaded with fructose, it is forced to turn some of that fructose into fat. The consequences of a fatty liver can be incredibly dangerous to your health, especially if left untreated.
- Sugar is Linked to Insulin Resistance: When there is a lot of sugar in your diet, your body can develop a resistance to insulin. Insulin is incredibly important to the body, and resistance to it is linked to type II diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, and metabolic syndrome.
- Sugar Makes You Fat. A calorie is a calorie, right? Wrong. Sugar has a unique effect on your hormones and your brain. Sugar calories do not make you feel satisfied like other calories do, and it isn’t uncommon to increase your calorie intake when you consume a lot of sugar.
- Sugar Consumption Could Cause Cancer: When you consume sugar, your insulin levels become elevated. Research suggests elevated insulin levels are linked to the occurrence of cancer, which is the leading cause of death around the world.
- Sugar is Addicting: Since sugar causes your brain to release dopamine, if you are particularly susceptible to addiction you can become addicted to the effects of sugar consumption.
If you know you have too much sugar consumption in your diet, we believe you can change your habits and your health for good. With the help of the doctor, you can significantly reduce your sugar intake and your risk for weight gain, cancer, and diabetes.
To learn more about the weight management services provided by Premier Health and Wellness, click here or call 512.459.4405 to schedule an initial evaluation. .