Whether you are male or female, most of us all want those luscious locks of hair forever. I doubt that any of us wish to be bald, or want to have that receding hairline, or deal with clogged drains from all the hair loss in the shower. Many of the causes involve hormones. We have all experienced the strange influences that hormones have over our bodies, but many of us may have not made the connection to something as small as hair quality.
The main causes of hair loss include the following:
- Stress. With any stress, your body goes into a fight or flight mode. The cortisol hormone, also know as the stress hormone, gets released and with higher levels of cortisol the hair follicles can be damaged and fewer hormones that promote hair growth are released. This hair loss will recover after the stress.
- Sex Hormones. As many people say, pregnant women have that extra glow…starting from the hair! The increase in estrogen and progesterone helps to nurture the hair, expanding the growth phase and prevent shedding. In addition, this then explains the dreaded postpartum hair loss due to the dramatic decrease in those sex hormones.
- Menopause. This stage in life for women has the same concept as that postpartum hair loss. Inevitably, during menopause those much needed sex hormones drop and your hair typically feels that decrease.
- Vitamin D. Studies have shown that suboptimal levels of vitamin D in both men and women were connected to a pattern of hair loss.
- Genetics. For men, hair loss is a little bit different. Yes, hormones do still play a role. However, it is less about the levels or imbalances and more about the sensitivity the hair follicles have to testosterone. That level of sensitivity is determined by genetics. If your genes have made the receptors on hair follicles more sensitive, then they are more easily triggered by small amounts of testosterone and hair loss occurs more easily as a result. This explains why we see such a wide variety of baldness or receding hairlines in men of all ages.
HAIR LOSS TREATMENTS:
With the main underlying cause of hair loss and hair thinning being due to hormonal variations at certain stages of life, hormone therapy is a great way to get hair loss and quality under control. This is especially a great option for women with there being so many causes for hormone fluctuations in life.
Men go through a similar decline and shift in hormones that women go thru during menopause. Hormone replacement therapy can help regulate those same fluctuations in men and enhance the body’s ability to regenerate hair follicles.
Other remedies include:
- A balanced diet of foods rich in iron, omega-3 fatty acids, and protein.
- Stress reduction.
- Vitamins such as biotin that can be found naturally in nuts, eggs, onions, and sweet potatoes.
- Scalp treatments such as the Hydrafacial Keravive that promote hair growth. Call to inquire about this amazing treatment.
For more information please contact Premier Health and Wellness by visiting the site or by contacting the staff at (512) 459-4405.